On Friday morning, May 10, 2013, LHC proudly welcomed Former Mayor Lawrence P. LeFebre, along with his wife and sister, to our archive for a visit and tour. Mayor Lefebre, pictured here with LHC Director, Susan Grabski (left), and LHC Archivist, Jennifer Williams, was in office between 1978 and 1983. During this time, the Immigrant City Archives (now dba Lawrence History Center) was founded by Eartha Dengler, the Lawrence Heritage State Park opened, and several buildings were registered as historical landmarks.
In 2006, Mayor Lefebre generously donated his papers to the History Center so that the history and his legacy may be preserved and made available for researchers. The Mayor Lawrence P. LeFebre Papers, 1849-2005, includes photographs, various types of correspondence, as well as plaques and other objects. The materials have been arranged, described, and made available to researchers worldwide through an online Finding Aid (or Collection Guide) on our web site. The following is an excerpt from the Finding Aid’s Biographical Note (full Finding Aid):
“During his six years in office Mayor LeFebre developed multiple projects. Indeed, he was very involved in rehabilitating the infrastructure in Lawrence. He obtained federal and state money to conduct such activities as install a new water tower and water lines as well as renovate the historic water tower, renovate the downtown area, and establish a Design Review Board to ensure that all rules in the historic district were observed. He also initiated the process of having five Lawrence neighborhoods included on the National Historic Register and established programs to rehabilitate and preserve historic homes.